Pregnancy & Compression
Pregnancy is a very special time for woman. The pregnancy hormones and the growing child-bearing uterus have effects on the veins of the mother-to-be. Consequently, one woman out of three experiences common symptoms such as heavy, tired, aching legs and swollen feet and ankles. Varicose veins may also develop. They often appear around the fourth month of pregnancy and regress usually after the baby is born. Existing varicose veins tend to get worse during pregnancy.
There are several reasons for these conditions, including the following:
- Increase of blood volume.
- Loss of venous walls tonicity.
- Pressure increase in the leg veins, caused by the position of the baby.
- Change of blood consistency increasing the risk of blood clot formation.
The risks of venous disorders during pregnancy are further increased if the following factors are present:
- History of venous disease in the family.
- Pre-existing venous condition. Multiple pregnancies.
- Prolonged sitting or standing.
During pregnancy, spider veins and varicose veins may become painful, warm, and take a purple color. Cramps occur more often and are painful.
The risks of complications like phlebitis and trombophlebitis are increased. Venous thrombo-embolism is the most common complication of pregnancy.
The benefits of compression while pregnant:
- Wearing compression stockings during pregnancy prevents blood pooling in the veins and an increase of the heart rate in the mother and child associated with it. Furthermore, it may reduce the risk of varicose veins, phlebitis, and thrombosis.
- Compression therapy also reduces the most common symptoms such as swollen feet and ankles, tired and achy legs.
If you discover the benefits of compression stockings during pregnancy, you may realize that after your pregnancy you may want to continue wearing them for improved leg health for years to come. Consult your doctor about the benefits of compression therapy during pregnancy.
Our certified ABC/BOC compression fitter, Kristen Knowles is a pioneer in the lymphedema management community.
We carry premium quality compression products combining wearing comfort, fashionable looks and a broad selection of products matching different life styles including: JoviPak, Tribute, Sigvaris, Jobst, Medi, Farrow, CircAid, Juzo, Lymphedivas and more.
Call today for a free initial consultation: 713-623-4247Leg Lymphedema Fluid Measurement Chart Arm Lymphedema Fluid Measurement Chart REQUEST APPOINTMENT